Moulds are part of the natural environment, and can be found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Mould is part of a very common group of organisms called fungi. The group also includes yeast and mushrooms.
Mould is not usually a problem, unless it begins growing indoors. Moulds can grow in poorly ventilated moist, damp or wet areas inside a property. They are often found on bathroom walls and ceilings, shower cubicles, kitchen walls and ceilings, windows, carpets, wallpaper, insulation material etc. Where moisture is allowed to accumulate in a building mould growth will often occur. The best way to control mould growth is to control moisture.
There are thousands of different mould types and all have the potential under different circumstances, to cause health issues. Some fungi are not hazardous to occupants health, but may cause damage to the property visually or structurally. Other fungi can cause allergic reactions to occupants if left in the property for a long period of time. There are also some fungi and their metabolites that are very toxic, and should not be present in an occupied property as they are hazardous to health.
Understanding air quality
Understanding the air quality of your property or the property you are buying is an important part of protecting the health of the occupants of the property. Culture petri dish tests and swab tests will only provide you with limited information. An air quality test with laboratory analysis will provide you with a more in depth and broader understanding of the air quality, any pollutants found and the concentration level in the property. The analysis report you receive can be provided to a medical consultant if required.